miércoles, 1 de septiembre de 2010

Adjusting to a new home

How much can someone learn in one week? I can’t believe the things that I’ve done in this past week…I’ve read a book, started a second, helped coordinate a three month training course for local artisans, hiked down to the river, trekked up to the family farm, petted a baby calf and sheep, slept through an earthquake, ate scrumptious, homemade quinoa bread, attended the viewing of our town’s new video promoting tourism here, listened to hours of music, went on my first run at 10,800 feet (and walked over half of it), started PX90 workouts in addition, ate alpaca meat nearly daily, met the mayor and principal, attended mass, sorted potatoes, helped out around the house, drafted syllabi for a business and an English course, celebrated Day of the Elderly, participated in a procession with school kids and their torches or lanterns (further explanation below), watched Avatar (in Spanish so it was studying), attended a display of traditional Peruvian dances and still managed to find a little time to be homesick too. So every day has been really full, even if it’s not rushed or busy in the traditional sense. Right now everything’s still new and exciting and therefore every activity really strikes me as a unique experience.


Out of all of this, the two school activities were particularly interesting. I couldn’t believe how I lucked out at agreeing to go watch my brother dance, I ended up at a performance where each grade performed a different, traditional dance. I think any tourist would have been pumped to see that demonstration (lucky me!) Also, the night before there was a parade and the kids each made their own “torch,” which whatever distinguishable shape that had chosen and made out of wire and paper. Inside they positioned a lit candle to illuminate their torch. While this activity may never fly in the US, it was great. There was also a band which played as we walked through the cobblestone streets of our town. That the kids had made their torches without any help or guidance and with such limited materials was impressive. The torches themselves were so creative and cute as well- birds, corn, helicopters, houses, boats, SpongeBob (my brother’s), bees, ladybugs, etc.

Today I’m in the nearby town of Chivay for the day to enjoy a soak in the hot springs here, debrief and connect with a few other volunteers over our weeks and plan our strategy for the following week. Site is a different experience (just more rural and isolated) but the people are super nice. We pop over to this nearby town for some “modern” conveniences, such as slow internet, international calling, a market and restaurants. I miss you all a lot but am lucky to have such a great family here taking care of me and keeping me in line…and hopefully I’ll master their quinoa bread recipe in time…yum! And write me...I´m homesick!

1 comentario: